Students MUST use descriptive language in order to achieve high scores!!
Never use the word GOOD!
Use fantastic, amazing, incredible, tremendous, spectacular, extraordinary, unbelievable, phenomenal, stupendous, remarkable, astonishing, etc…
Never use the word BAD!
Use horrible, disgusting, terrible, appalling, dreadful, horrifying, detestable, hideous, abominable, offensive, despicable, etc…
Enhance Your Descriptions by Tapping the Five Senses
- Write about how the sunshine’s sizzle sounded like a Sunday morning omelet.
- Write about how the old car smelled like a bad tuna fish sandwich.
- Write about how the baby’s skin felt like the petal of an orchid.
- Write about how the fresh rain tasted like an angel kissing your tongue.
- Write about how the broken computer looked like a fallen soldier.
ALWAYS USE SPECIFIC DETAIL AND VIVID LANGUAGE IN YOUR ESSAY!!
PITFALLS: Watch out!
- Not following your outline.
- Making generalized statements that lack support.
- Not including personal experience.
- Using dull, non-descriptive language.